Re: Preferred pricing model for journals

I have to chip in my $0.02 of support to David Summers' note of cynicism.
In recent conversations with publisher reps, when I have had the
"audacity" to question their pricing, I have run into an impenetrable wall
of non-sympathetic non-understanding which finally brought me to point out
to one rep that they were a profit-making organization with a profit
margin of >30% while I was a representative of a not-for-profit
institution with a devolving budget for serials, and that at a certain
point, my institution would have to question, in real terms, the
possibility that we could not *afford* to support some departments at the
expense of jepoardizing the entirety of the library's core offerings. The
rep responded with a sort of "that's your problem" reply, and I'm not sure
that the rep understood that in the longer run it would really be *his*
problem as the subscription base shrinks and prices are driven even higher
in order to maintain profit margins. But none of this is new to
librarians: I wonder if it will be new to publishers as they begin to feel
effects of cancellations because of overpricing?

P Picerno