RE: Online journal statistics

Hi Donnie and other folks,

You've got it in one.

We've had access to Emerald stats for a short while - their system
generates stats via an email attachment, too, not directly onto a
web page. T'would also be nice to have outputs possible in a variety
of ways (e.g. delimited somehow for loading into spreadsheets,
whatever).

When I queried them about the Top Ten approach, here was the
response from their Shelly Grimshaw:

"In respect the usage statistics, at the moment access is limited to
the top 10 titles, but we can provide you with the full details if you
require them. Presently there is no facility for users to obtain details
of the full access as there has been no demand for it, but I will
check with the director responsible for electronic development to
determine if this is something that we intend to develop for our end
users."

I guess the politicos amongst you had better start 'demanding' so
that there IS demand!

This approach, naturally, resonates with the Elsevier stats. And
others no doubt.

It raises the issue more generally about integrating the stats mass
into a comparative framework. Apples and pears and cumquats just
ain't mixing at the moment. However, patience - I guess we all have
to crawl before we can run ...

Ciao from the monarchy downunder (sniff),

Richard d'Avigdor
Senior Librarian
University of New South Wales
Sydney, NSW 2052,   AUSTRALIA
r.davigdor@unsw.edu.au
Social Sciences & Humanities Library
Tel: +61 2 9385 2657  Fax: +61 2 9662 6309
Datasets Coordinator
Electronic Information Resources Group (EIRG)
Tel: +61 2 9385 1531  Fax: +61 2 9662 6309
http://www.library.unsw.edu.au/~eirg/eirg.html

____