Re: Remote Authentication

Beth Nicol wrote:
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:24:36 -0500
From: "Beth Nicol" <NICOLLB@groupwise1.duc.auburn.edu>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Subject: Re: remote authentication

Ruth:

I handle the web-based Remote access for databases here at Auburn
University. We are a Voyager site, and I have a set of cgi-scripts and a
server application to handle this. If a user is not in the Auburn domain,
they must provide lastname and library barcode which is then checked
against our patron file (real-time) and then the user is either passed on
to the resource, or denied access. We do have some vendors who only offer
IP based access, and we have elected not to go the proxy server route, but
to only allow access from the campus in these cases.

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

Beth Nicol
AU Libraries Systems
(334)844-17431

>>> Ruth Dukelow - Michigan Library Consortium <dukelow@mlc.lib.mi.us>
10/27 9:08 PM >>>
MLC is putting together a program for spring 2000 on remote patron
authentication. Does anyone on this list have recommendations for good
speakers on this topic?  I'm looking for vendor speakers, as well as
librarians or statewide coordinators who have handled the remote access
issue successfully.  I'm also interested in speakers who can address
alternatives to remote authentication.  Thanks for your help! Ruth

Ruth H. Dukelow, AccessMichigan Director
Michigan Library Consortium		dukelow@mlc.lib.mi.us
6810 South Cedar St, Suite 8		phone: (800)530-9019 ext.21
Lansing, MI 48911-6909			fax: (517)694-9303
http://accessmichigan.org		http://mel.org