Re: What does Tasini mean for us librarians?

Two remarks:

1.  For reference, note that the appeal case is listed as: Belejack et al
v. The New York Times Company et al.  If you do a search on 'Tasini', you
may well end up with the District Court case.

2.  The issue turned on the contracts each of the appellants had with the
publishers, and the application of s 201 (c) of the Copyright Act 1976.
Essentially, the matter concerned freelance journalists.  This can easily
be distinguished from the position of scholarly journal authors, who
generally assign copyright to the publisher or grant exclusive publishing
rights in all media.  But it is a salutary warning to all those publishers
who are not rigorous about their author contracts.

John Cox
John Cox Associates