Re: Electronic availability

David, I hesitate to respond but I can't let your comment go:

Columbia's selectors can differentiate between good and bad but I am
commenting on the enormity of the problem.  We have 30,000 plus journals.
Some of those journals are better than other -- but still not totally
great.  Some of those journals are less than great, but we have them for a
multiplicity of reasons -- and some articles in these journals are
excellent.  Many articles simply perform the function of helping scholars
get tenure so that they can do more research on another day.  Elsevier and
all publishers all have journals in both categories.

At the same time, with many thousands of researchers and tens of thousands
of students, we can have only an incomplete picture of their needs.  Our
scholars need information -- their job is to sift through it to find that
which helps their research.  Librarians cannot play the part of an
informational deity who, knowing all, can pick journals which will hold
only the good articles.  We do the best we can -- but let's not take
ourselves too seriously.  Researchers like big libraries because they get
to sift through more information. Actually, most would like to own it all
themselves but they are happy to come to us when their own collections,
and those of their friends, fail.  Tony