Re: Elsevier's Approach to Pricing

I could not agree more with Kitty's statements.  The imposition of the
registration requirement for non-subscribed titles is a major barrier to
usage.  Several of our users have expressed their frustration by a very
"creative" use of login and password language - let's just say that that
words wouldn't make it on prime-time TV.

We've talked to Elsevier about this, and they seem to understand our
issues, but I'm not sure if the situation will actually change in either
the near or long term.  This seems to be an area where the academic
perspective isn't quite the same as the corporate one - where the need to
track individual usage is apparently important.  We've said "give us the
choice".  We are also concerned that our monthly statistics show userid
in conjunction with usage - this is a piece of information that we really
don't want to have.

Jim Mouw
The University of Chicago Library