Re: Article based subscription

The question of how individual journal articles should be priced is one
that has been relatively little discussed.  It is well known that the
poorest quality journals are proportionately the most expensive, because
of the smaller demand. To what extent this would apply to individual
articles is not clear to me, though certainly some of the publishers
currently with the highest individual article royalties are among the ones
that would usually be considered the lower quality ones.

However, this isnt what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that
there should be no cutoff between deciding to subscribe to a journal, and
deciding to buy it article by article.  We should be able to say, we will
buy it for so much an article until we have paid as much as a subscription
would have cost, and then it should be considered that we have subscribed
and we need pay no more bno matter how much we use it further that year.
This would make the payments reflect the use, not our guesses about use.

David Goodman, Princeton University
Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu
609-258-3235