Mike Spinella

Author:  David Goodman <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU> at Internet
Date:    9/8/99 6:33 PM

With paper journals there was a real difference between in the usefulness
of what you got with a subscription and what you got with any of the
document delivery options: articles from the subscribed title were right
there in the library for immediate access, and the others took several
days or more. (This is of course in addition to the difference is
browsability.)  With electronic journals this difference disappears--it
becomes merely a question of how you want to pay for the content. The way
I think best is a simple cross-over, e.g. a journal whose electronic
subscription price is $1000 would offer articles at $20, but with the
payment to be no more than $1000 total. I think this would accommodate all
sizes and classes of institutions equitably.

The difficulty for a publisher, I would think, would be not getting the
money in advance. But then, I think the universal contract provision in
paper subscriptions for non-cancellable payment in advance and being able
to start only on Jan. 1 to be unreasonable even for paper, and totally
without justification for electronic titles. (Maybe it would be fair for
an institution to make an estimated deposit against use.)

David Goodman
Biology Librarian, and
Co-Chair, Electronic Journals Task Force
Princeton University Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu         http://www.princeton.edu/~biolib/
phone: 609-258-3235            fax: 609-258-2627