Re: Fair use (Re: Xerox ContentGuard)

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: RE THE MESSAGE BELOW, HEAR HEAR -- we get all of these
auto-replies too. They can wreak havoc with the list if there are too many
in one day, i.e., the system considers these as real messages and
determines, after a certain point, that the list has reached a daily max.
So far, requests to list members don't seem to have helped, either. So let
us try again:  Those of you who use auto-responses that kick in after each
and every message you receive, please do consider disabling them, and if
you are on a system that doesn't permit this, please ask your technical
people to move to a system that's more correspondent-friendly.]

********

A footnote to my reply to Sommers' comment sent today:

I probably ought to have held back my response until after the Labor Day
weekend. Now, as I well know from past experience, I may confidently
expect to be flooded with automatic replies from people whose systems
mindlessly generate these usually useless notices informing me that they
are away. Isn't there enough sentiment out there to ask that these systems
be deactivated somehow? Or do people who are away enjoy rubbing it in?

Alan M. Edelson, Ph.D.