Re: Fair use (Re: Xerox ContentGuard)

> Anderson makes it sound as if "fair use" can be decided readily by reading
> the Acts of Congress. In reality "fair use" is usually a very gray area,
> and at times must be determined by judges.

I certainly don't mean to make it sound that way.  What I mean to say is
that fair use cannot be defined by copyright holders -- it's a matter of
law (whether clearly set forth in statute or established by judicial
precedent).

----------------------
Rick Anderson
Head Acquisitions Librarian
Jackson Library
UNC Greensboro
1000 Spring Garden St.
Greensboro, NC 27402-6175
PH (336) 334-5281
FX (336) 334-5399
rick_anderson@uncg.edu
http://www.uncg.edu/~r_anders

"Eisenhower tried to explain in a patient
voice and with small words that an
interstate road system has nothing to do
with getting somewhere and everything to do
with time and space and the hieroglyphics
of the mind."
              -- David Thomas