RE: Fair use (Re: Xerox ContentGuard)

And tracking what you do with an article??

I would suggest that is a good way for content creators to finish up the
job of demolishing public support and trust.

No amount of lobbying or law passing will salvage the good will that would
be lost.

So, no they don't have to but yes it would make very very good sense if
they did include fair use considerations even in software design.

Do publishers want another donnybrook either in national legislatures or
between heads of publishing organizations and libraries (and librarians).

Sureptitious tracking would be a great way to ensure it.

It would make very good sense for content owners to become very pro- users
rights and pivacy-for users rights with regards to "their" material.It
sells better than policing at the individual use level, which, and
perhaps, I'm wrong, seems to be the intent of ContentGuard.

Chuck Hamaker.