Re: Elsevier and cancellations

Isn't it that the current statistics show that, when given the
opportunity, people use journals that their library would not have owned?
Their libraries did not own these journals because with limited budgets
they bought some and not others.  But that doesn't mean that users
wouldn't want it otherwise.

I think the issue is that we are now in a different world.  The old world
was one of the people who read journals don't live in libraries, to read
the journals they have to go to the libraries, spend time there browsing
and photocopying for real reading.  They browsed the ones that were
available to them, but didn't get to browse the ones not owned.  Now the
people who read journals do live in the virtual library -- in this case
populated by Elsevier, etc., journals.  When they look up topics or
authors they find things in journals that they didn't previously have
access.  They become aware of titles that they didn't previously get to
access.

Libraries don't have any more money now than in the past but we can spend
it differently.  That is my argument.  tony

_______