Re: Response to lib-license email

	As Gay Dannelly (original poster of Tom Sanville's message) is
unavailable today, I am posting Tom's general response to Mr. Michaelson's
message.  I will send my personal responses in a separate message.

	kent mulliner, Ohio University Libraries

_______

At 12:11 PM 8/22/1999 EDT, you [Bob Michaelson] wrote:
> [...]
>>>extensively as we have and to which analyses our library directors and
>>>collection development committee are privy.  Before even moving into this
>>>and other licenses an extensive amount of analysis and discussion was held
>>>before the community agreed to proceed.
>
>This remains to be seen -- without open cost-benefit and
>cost-effectiveness studies, there is no way for the library community to
>critically evaluate your claims.
>
>>>We opened up the electronic Journal Center in April 1998 with Elsevier and
>>>Academic Press. We added MUSE and are now adding Springer, Kluwer, Wiley,
>>>Am. Physical Society.  and more in the future.
>
>We all know about Bradford's Law and bibliometrics:  the most important
>titles will account for significantly more usage than will the second or
>third rate (or lower) titles. Logically, then, OhioLINK should have
>started by supplying electronic access to the most important titles:
>American Physical Society, American Institute of Physics, Science, Nature,
>American Chemical Society, Royal Society of Chemistry, Journal of
>Biological Chemistry, etc. etc. Instead, OhioLINK started with Elsevier
>and Academic (which publish a few important titles but mostly second-tier
>or worse) and is only now starting to add _one_ of the major journal
>producers. Thus OhioLINK is in effect starting with the dregs -- this is
>cost-effectiveness?  This is cost-benefit?
>
>>> We have shared the usage of
>>>the system with our libraries and their directors know what our licenses
>>>call for economically. So we as a management community are able to look
very
>>>clearly at the cost-benefit.
>
>It would be interesting to learn how you are measuring benefit.  Number of
>journal articles supplied is not, by itself, a good measure of benefit,
>since it treats them all the same.  A serious benefit study would sample
>the dollar benefit to the end-users of the delivered articles. You would
>also want to look at cost-effectiveness: e.g. what would be the cost of
>delivering the same information by alternative means (ILL or document
>supply).  You would certainly want to determine the relative
>cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit of delivering Elsevier and Academic
>vs. delivering (for example) American Chemical Society titles -- in short,
>is the benefit obtained as great as the benefit in spending the same
>amount in some other (dare I say more logical) way?
>
>>> There is no rush to publish in that we only
>>>have 15 month's data in the bag. It continues to grow so rapidly and
will be
>>>affected by additional publishers and links in our systems that we have
been
>>>satisfied with using this internally up to this point.  There is now a
draft
>>>paper reporting on our last year's use that may see light of day in a
>>>journal. Also I made a preliminary presentation at ALA on these results. Go
PowerPoint
> [...]
ways to
>>>approach the problem and that the solutions are evolutionary. We are not
>>>wedded to any publisher forever.  But a problem that has been caused by
>>>years of bad buyer behavior which has allowed Elsevier  and other
>>>publishers, both profit and non-profit, to act as they have does not have
>>>simple solutions.
>
>To be sure many libraries have been bad consumers. More significantly
>(IMO) many publishers, Elsevier prominent among them, have abused the
>academic market.  Abrogating our role as selectors is not a way to become
>better consumers; expecting the Elseviers to mend their ways because you
>abrogate that role is, in my opinion, foolish.
>
>>>There is no simple way out of this situation. The actions of OhioLINK and
>>>other groups and schools like U Toronto improve our ability to meet patron
>>>needs now, create an environment that increases information use, provide a
>>>better means to measure information use, and provide tools to better
>>>negotiate and change publisher behavior  in the future. With the status quo
>>>you have no idea what your patrons will really use in an electronic
>>>environment - we are
>>>beginning to find out. You must find a way out of the box.  You must think
>>>evolutionary. We ask to license all the titles now so we can find out what
>>>we really need. This information will help us much more in the future than
>>>having no idea at all.
>>>

>Spending huge amounts of money without selection is a pretty poor way of
>thinking "out of the box", IMO. Wouldn't it be better to wait for
>Elsevier, Academic, etc. to offer title-by-title selectivity, and then
>create an electronic package of the titles that are most important for
>your audience (as well as most cost-effective)? What is the rush?
>Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to offer a first-rate package (Science,
>AIP, ACS journals, even selected Elsevier titles) than to go with a
>decidedly mixed bag from the world's publishing cartels?
>
>>>At the same time I applaud the efforts of SPARC and others with alternative
>>>publishing models.  These too will bring pressure on existing publishers
and
>>>help evolve to a better equilibrium of information access and economic
>>>reality.
>>>
>>>One may not agree with what we are doing- but I think you are in error to
>>>conclude it is without merit. I'd talk to our librarians and users around
>>>the state and you may find out most think otherwise. Our solutions are not
>>>risk free and not without question marks. But IMO we will advance. learn,
>>>and redirect efforts as needed.
>
>Users and librarians around the state see what they are getting, but they
>don't as readily see what they are not getting (lots of higher-quality
>journals), nor do they see what they, as taxpayers, are paying. Most of
>all they do not see the deleterious effect on the world of scholarly

K. Mulliner       Collection Development Coordinator & Asst. to Dean
         "Owner"  CORMOSEA & cap-sea Electronic Mailing Lists

Ohio University Libraries    	Phone: 740-593-2707
Athens, OH 45701-2978, USA	FAX:    740-593-2708
mulliner@ohio.edu