Re: Citation indexing and Re: Ejournal use data, was: Elsevier and cancellations

On Aug 20, 11:30pm, Hunger99@aol.com wrote:
> Subject: Citation indexing and Re: Ejournal use data, was: Elsevier and ca
> Didn't Garfield pioneer this area by looking at citation indexing?
> Doesn't Science Citation Indexing still put out numbers on what journals
> and what articles have the most impact in a field?  Are these not better,
> more direct, measures than how often a journal is accessed?  It would
> appear that accessing may be related to the impact of a journal or
> article, but what we would like to know for understanding progress and
> development in a field is impact, or some such measure. Aren't citation
> measures available to librarians for free from SCI?  And SSCi? dh
>-- End of excerpt from Hunger99@aol.com

Citation measures based on Journal Citation Reports data are produced and
analysed regularly by ISI, Philadelphia. The data, now available on CD and on
the Web, are also used by many others - such as CHI, the Leiden group, ISSI in
Hungary. But one has to pay for the data. It is not free.

Subbiah Arunachalam