Re: Response to lib-license email

Dear Colleagues,

Robert Michaelson made pertinent and valuable comments in his assessment
of Science Direct, as reported on this list.

First, as a matter of accuracy, RM did not post his message, but rather it
was posted by another valued colleague, David Goodman, with the permission
of the author.

Second, while I prefer to refrain from unduly harsh criticism, the
assertions. If OhioLINK has a contractual obligation to Elsevier and
others not to reveal the details of their business relationship, then say
so. Otherwise quit this juvenile coyness about costs. Those figures are
perhaps the only truly valuable intelligence that can be shared with your
colleagues. "Discretion" may be a useful dodge, but not a rational basis
for failure to disclose these figures.

Third, I am perplexed by assertions regarding usage. "In point of fact,
our last year's usage figures indicate that user behavior, when provided
with materials not previously available, changes dramatically."  This is
disingenuous. What is actually being said here and what is being claimed
in the subtext need to be reconciled. I am also curious as to the extent
that user behavior is being monitored. Traditionally, librarians do not
engage in surveillance of their patrons. This has become a much more
critical issue as materials become available on the internet, with the
powerful capacity computers have to report on user behaviors and the the
sites users access.  Additionally, the fact that a curious user may access
a site does not validate the utility of the site itself.

Fourth, "volume and breadth" have nothing to do with content and value.
Any gardener can tell you it is easy to use too much manure. And while I
agree that the "solutions are evolutionary," it is necessary to know from
what one is endeavoring to evolve. Asking for "all the titles now so we
can know what we really need" is absurd.

Perhaps some time studying statistical analysis and study design is in
order.

Sincerely,

Lance Sultzbaugh
Elan Pharmaceuticals
Menlo Park, CA
USA

A selection of my affiliations is listed below for identification purposes.
I speak only for myself.
Member, Federation Internationale d?Information et de Documentation
Delegate-1999, International Federation of Library Associations and
Institutions
Member, Library Association (UK)
Member, American Library Association
Member, American Society for Information Science
Member, Society of American Archivists
Member, Society of Competitive Intelligence Professionals
Member, Internet Technical Group (Sandia National Laboratory)
Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers Computer Society
(and Digital Librariies Technical Committee)
Member, American Communication Association
Member, Human Molecular Genetics Network (Netherlands ORI)
Member, Association of College and Research Libraries (USA)  - Science and
Technology Section
Member, Modern Language Association