Re: Elsevier and cancellations

It will also be important that libraries support the "alternative"
initiatives such as SPARC and individuals such as the fellow who founded
and was editor of Environmental Ecology.  The journal was purchased by
Kluwer who upped the price by 30% right away.  The editor resigned in
protest and has started a new journal, with the support of SPARC, entitled
Environmental Ecology Reviews which will cost about 1/3 of the original
but with many of the same contributing authors.  We should all cancell EE
and purchase EER, which I believe will commence in January, 2000.

For more information on the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources
Coalition(SPARC) check out www.arl.org/sparc

It has the support of ALA, MLA, ARL and others.

Tom

Thomas Williams, Director			(334) 460-6885
Biomedical Library and Media 			(334) 460-7638(fax)
   Production Services
University of South Alabama			twilliam@jaguar1.usouthal.edu
College of Medicine				http://southmed.usouthal.edu
BML 326B