Re: proxy servers and site agreements

Paul:

At the Duke University Medical Center we have the same arrangement, but
once we describe the proxy user security, most vendors have not objected
to remote access from off-campus sites.  Of course, we have only a small
remote campus, our marine sciences lab, but we do have lots of off-campus
training sites, which are part of our health system.  Once we tell vendors
that all users of the proxy server must have an individual ID and password
and only authorized faculty, staff, and students can obtain passwords, the
vendors do not seem to have concerns.  The only ones who have objected are
the publishers that offer "free" access to online journals as part of
their subscription.

The proxy server is maintained by campus OIT services.  I am not aware of
the main library system, Perkins, having any problems with their licenses,
however, the "main" campus has very few, if any, off-campus programs.

Pat Thibodeau
Duke University Medical Center Library

__________

Paul Reynolds <Paul.Reynolds@utas.edu.au> on 08/03/99 07:46:17 PM

Please respond to liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

 To:      liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
 Subject: proxy servers and site agreements

Hi All,

We are a multi-campus institution with a proxy server physically located
at one of these campuses.  As all outgoing traffic goes through the proxy
server, users arrive at a web site wearing the IP address associated with
the site of the proxy server rather than the actual site or campus of the
end-user.  This configuration means that we cannot comply with site
licenses that restrict access to just one location.

Does anyone else have a similar proxy server configuration and if so, how
do you manage to comply with single-site license agreements?

Paul Reynolds
Acquisitions Librarian

University of Tasmania Library            Ph: +61 3 62262207
GPO Box 252-25  Hobart                 Fax: +61 3 62267642
Tasmania.  Australia

Mailto:Paul.Reynolds@utas.edu.au