Re: What does "hold harmless" mean?

Philip Wallas of EBSCO Publishing sends the following message

---------- Forwarded message ----------
>From PWallas@epexchange.epnet.com Fri Jul 30 08:50:41 1999
From: Philip Wallas <PWallas@epexchange.epnet.com>
Subject: FW: What does "hold harmless" mean?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:44:13 -0400

Thanks to Alan Edleson for the clarification on this issue.  One related
item I find in my work licensing content for EBSCO Publishing's aggregated
full text databases is that some publishers want us to include a clause in
our user agreement, indemnifying the publisher against any claims by the
subscribing institution's users.  We have mutual indemnification clauses
in our license agreement with the publisher, but one particular publisher
wants the customer to indemnify them as well.

We have had numerous instances where state funded institutions have not
been able to accept our user agreement because their state laws do not
permit the institution to undertake a financial obligation (of unknown
scope) for another party and indemnification certainly has the potential
to have financial implications.  We end up having to customize products to
remove the content from the publisher who insists on the user agreement
clause. What is particularly frustrating is that this publisher requires
the same clause from all its distributors, yet we see institutions which
can not agree to the indemnification clause buying products from those
distributors. Academic Universe is one example.

Does anyone know if the existence of mutual indemnification between a
publisher and a licensee makes the idea of indemnification for the
publisher by the licensee's customer redundant?