Re: "Best" vs. "Reasonable" Efforts

Victoria -- according to the University of California's Office of General
Counsel, the term "best efforts," as you might guess, implies a standard
of diligence and care that goes beyond those you normally employ.  The
advice of counsel is that, unless we really intend to give special
treatment to a particular publisher/vendor with respect to the
provision(s) calling for "best efforts," we should resist the use of this
term.  We have found our licensors to be pliable on this issue, although
we have on occasion had to explain the reasons: a) that we will apply the
standard of care that we employ with all licensed content with regard to
[access][security][copyright compliance][whatever...], but see no
compelling reason to give this licensor special treatment; and b) we are
acting on advice of counsel.

* Gary S. Lawrence, DLIS
* Director, Library Planning and Policy Development
* California Digital Library
* University of California
* 1111 Franklin Street, 11th Floor
* Oakland, CA 94607-5200