Re: ChoiceReviews.online

     Dear Ms. Cubberley,

     As the individual ultimately responsible for ChoiceReviews.online, it
     seems appropriate that I should be the one to respond to your recent
     E-mail.

     Let me open by observing that it is our goal here at Choice not just to
     meet but to exceed our subscribers' expectations. We are always
     distressed when we fail to meet this goal, and we will be disappointed
     in the extreme if this occurs with ChoiceReviews.online. Behind the
     April 5 launch of ChoiceReviews.online lies a major effort involving
     the entire Choice staff, approximately 300 beta-testers at 100
     institutions, and nearly 18 months of intensive development.
     ChoiceReviews.online is not only the first new serial launched by
     Choice since 1968. It represents a step in a wholly new direction, one
     that we believe is critical to the future of Choice. So we have every
     incentive to try and get it right, and we have invested accordingly in
     its development. Furthermore, we propose to continue to do so for the
     forseeable future, for we see the current incarnation of
     ChoiceReviews.online as simply the first step on a very long journey.

     While the ultimate verdict will not be available for some time, I can
     report that the early response to ChoiceReviews.online has been
     extremely positive. With just under 100 paid or invoiced subscriptions
     in place at the end of the first seven weeks, and several hundred
     60-day trials under way, it seems clear that at least some potential
     subscribers like what they are seeing. All indications here are that
     ChoiceReviews.online is off to an encouraging start. We will have more
     to report in the coming months. For the moment, our fingers are
     crossed.

     With this as context, let me turn to your concerns. These seem to me
     to fall into two categories--concerns about the product, and concerns
     about the license agreement. Since the first of these affects the
     second, I would like to take them up in that order.

     THE PRODUCT

     It is important, in evaluating ChoiceReviews.online 1.0 (or CRO1 as it
     is known in-house), to understand the purposes and users for which it
     is designed. Simply stated, CRO1 is designed for our core subscribers,
     i.e. the same individuals who currently use Choice magazine and
     Reviews on Cards. It is, in short, primarily designed--and priced--for
     use by collection development staff--and to a lesser extent, faculty
     selectors.

     What CRO1 is not intended or designed for is campus-wide use. That
     will come in a site license version, which we hope to launch this
     coming January. Unlike CRO1, access to the site license version will
     be secured via IP address rather than passwords, and there will be no
     20-user limit. It will also, I hasten to add, carry a necessarily
     higher price.

     Point number 1 then is that CRO1 is designed for use by library staff,
     not campus-wide use. We have attempted to make this clear in our
     advertising--and we most certainly take pains to explain it in our
     discussions with potential subscribers. Your remarks will encourage us
     to redouble our efforts in this area. However, I cannot guarantee that
     we will, in all cases, have space to discuss details of this sort in
     all settings in which we might choose to promote CRO. That, I think,
     would be promising a bit much.

     A second important point about CRO1 is that it provides for a great
     deal of personalization. Each authorized user receives their own
     individual "workspace" on the CRO site where they can create, edit,
     and maintain lists of reviews assembled for virtually any purpose that
     meets their needs. Moreover, these lists can be printed out,
     downloaded, and distributed via E-mail, as can individual reviews.
     Finally, by filling out a profile form--which can be modified at any
     time--users can customize their monthly E-mail bulletin so that it
     contains only those titles of interest to them.

     All of this will, I hope, help explain CRO1's 20-user limit (which can
     be increased at additional cost), its use of password protection, and
     the requirement that subscribers help us to create and maintain their
     authorized user lists. While these requirements may seem potentially
     burdensome, they are logical outgrowths of the design and purpose of
     the product. Furthermroe, they bring with them some advantages as
     well--notably personalization and ease of access without regard for
     location.

     Most subscribers to date seem to find the 20-user limit livable. Very
     few are using all 20 slots. None to date have purchased additional
     ones. And while I regret the necessity of making subscribers
     responsible for creating and maintaining their own list of authorized
     users, I am at a loss to imagine how else these lists, which are
     crucial to the system, can be kept current. In any case, the labor
     involved seems to me directly analogous to the creation of serial
     routing slips which has always been the subscriber's responsibility--
     for obvious reasons.

     THE LICENSE AGREEMENT

     As may be apparent by now, at least some of the concerns about the
     license agreement listed in your E-mail seem to be based on incorrect
     assumptions about the nature of CRO1. If, as noted above, CRO1 is
     designed for use by library staff, it cannot be true that the
     agreement attempts to "make the licensee responsible for other users."
     In the normal course of events, there will be no "other" users for
     whose behavior the licensee can be held responsible. As far as we can
     tell, this is precisely the pattern that is unfolding with our early
     subscribers. The authorized user lists we have received to date
     consist entirely of library staff--in keeping with the design and
     purpose of CRO1.

     Beyond this, I would offer the following two general responses to your
     concerns:

     First, the current license agreement, like CRO1, reflects a
     considerable amount of effort, and represents a sincere attempt to
     develop a workable agreement.

     We would like to think that it has a number of strengths. It is brief.
     (The text proper runs to two pages; the JSTOR agreement, by
     comparison, is five times as long.) It is relatively clearly written
     and far more understandable than many. It places remarkably few
     constraints on permitted uses of ChoiceReviews.online material,
     allowing for the printing and redistribution of CRO1 materials via a
     variety of methods including E-mail. It specifically acknowledges and
     allows for both reserve and instructional use.

     The only prohibitions on use are those involving republication and
     commerical use, restrictions which from this vantage point seem in no
     way remarkable and altogether reasonable. Furthermore, the absence of
     a provision stipulating that any litigation will take place in the
     publisher's home state, aka "Governing Jurisdiction" provision, is no
     accident.

     We have, in short, made a good faith attempt to draft a workable
     agreement that takes into account the library community's needs and
     preferences. Without claiming to have achieved perfection, we would
     hope that most potential subscribers would recognize the extent of the
     effort which has gone into the current agreement and would respond
     accordingly. To date, most have.

     Which leads me to my second and final point which is simply that, in
     those cases where the current agreement does not meet user needs, we
     are more than willing to talk. Please know that we will, in such
     cases, do everything in our power to devise a solution to all
     legitimate needs. In addition, we are willing too, to consider generic
     modifications to our current agreement as time and experience suggest
     that changes are needed.

     Does this mean we will be able to accomodate every possible request we
     receive? No, it does not. Clearly there are likely to be at least some
     instances in which it will be impossible to reconcile Choice's
     interests and those of the potential subscriber. It is my goal,
     however, not to prejudge such situations but rather to talk them
     through as thoroughly as possible before reaching such a conclusion.
     We hope that our potential subscribers will be willing to do the same.
     In such cases, two heads truly are better than one--or so it always
     seems to me.

     In conclusion, let me simply say that I hope this response will at
     least shed some light on the rationale for those features of CRO you
     find so problematic. My ultimate hope, of course, is that you and your
     colleagues will reconsider your initial decision and give CRO a try. We
     would very much like to be able to add University of Southern
     Mississippi to the CRO subscriber list. If this is not possible, we
     will understand, but we will continue to hope that some future version
     of ChoiceReviews.online will eventually meet your needs.

     Sincerely,
     Irving E. Rockwood

     Editor & Publisher
     CHOICE