Re: offline browsers

They presumably wish to make their pages invisible to automated web
crawlers, and they should make use of the available technical means for
doing so.  If they are, however, concerned with the user downloading
material for private use, the usual approach is to limit the amount the
user is permitted to store locally, not the rate of access. There are such
limits in many contracts, though usually for databases. I for one consider
such limits an acceptable perogative, though in an academic context
probably an unnecessary one. If they are concerned that their server can
not handle more than one request per minute, they are having some real
problems with technology, not just licensing.  In any case, no library can
warrant what the users will do and therefore cutting off access is an
unreasonable sanction. They can ask instead that the library cooperate in
investigating and preventing unauthorized use.

--
David Goodman
Biology Librarian, Princeton University Library