Developing impossible situation, Re: Authority to sign licenses

We have all encountered unexpectedly changed terms in new licenses. But as
universities now each have several hundred online products at least, which
will probably increase to several thousand in a year or so, how is this to
be accomplished? It is as if we had to separately negotiate, and annually
review and potentially renegotiate, licenses for all of our paper serial
titles, and separately negotiate licenses for each of the monographs as
well.

The acceptance of the concept of copyright law and permitted free use has
in general made this unnecessary for paper -- though this did take several
centuries.

David Goodman
Biology Librarian, Princeton University Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu         http://www.princeton.edu/~biolib/
phone: 609-258-3235            fax: 609-258-2627