Re: Click-through Licenses

To explain more fully, for IOP we expect a revised version very soon that
will not require identification; we have purchased their version of Inspec
on their assurances that they would provide this.  With Wiley, they have
informed me that they will soon have a revised license that will no longer
make this requirement.  Until then, we will not be implementing their
electronic journals.

We are prepared to meet any publishers request for positive knowledge that
a user is in fact a member of our user community by authorization through
our own proxy server. The current view of most or all of thew relevant
selectors here is that we will not have materials which require user
identification, with a few exceptions:

1. Publisher trials. For limited-time publisher trials of a service
without any monetary payment, most of the selectors here will accept a
request for user identification, realizing the the publisher may feel the
need to collect some such data during this phase.

2. Enriched services. If the patron is provided personalized services,
such as saved searches, SDI, or the e-mailing of results, it is not
necessarily unreasonable for the system to know who the patron is. Though
it should be technically possible to handle this in a way that is
anonymous as far as the database provider is concerned, many of the
selectors here will accept identification for these purposes as long as
the system still permits basic anonymous use.

I am expressing my own interpretation of the situation;  this should not
be taken as our Library's official policy.

--
David Goodman
Biology Librarian, Princeton University Library