RE: Double-licenses -- Tasini et al

That is an interesting development, especially since Mr. Tasini et al lost
the appeal (Oct. 97).  Are the freelance writers signing contracts that
include royalties for reuses by the publishers (such as in book
publishing), or just relinquishing rights?  Are they being compensated for
giving up the right to republish in local/regional publications, or losing
that income as a condition of first publication?  I haven't checked the
last _Writer's Market_ to see if it reflects this change of policy, but I
will do so this weekend.  And I'm especially curious to see if the smaller
publishers are following suit.

Thank you for the update.

Terry Cullen, Esq.
Electronic Services Librarian
Seattle University School of Law Library
950 Broadway Plaza, Tacoma, WA  98402-4470
Email:  tcullen@seattleu.edu
Phone:  253-591-7092  FAX:  253-591-6313