Re: "Double" Licenses

I recognise the situation in 'Terms and Conditions for use of Turpion
Electronic Journals' (http://www.turpion.org).

Turpion allows the Subscriber, and Users authorised by the Subscriber (see
Terms & Conditions at the above site), a FREE online access, via the
specified IP ranges, to the Turpion electronic journal for which the
Subscriber maintains a subscription to the print version.

A person in charge (usually a librarian) registers the Subscriber for
online access only ones, and accepts or negotiates Terms & Conditions with
Turpion (a publisher of the English translations of leading Russian
academic journals in physics, mathematics and chemistry). This is a process
of license's negotiation.

When the authorised users officially affiliated with the Subscriber access
the journals they must accept the Terms & Conditions ("click" to agree) to
confirm that they have been advised about the terms. I think it is a simple
way to inform end-users first of all what is permitted and what is
forbidden to do with electronic versions. It is an information function of
end-users' online service.

Lev Malov
Manager, Turpion-Moscow Ltd.