RE: Copyright / Old Journals

         Reply to:   RE: Copyright / Old Journals
Eric,

Works published before 1978 are subject to the old 1909 copyright law
under which copyright had to be renewed in the 28th year of the initial
term or the work would fall into public domain (and who had the right to
renew in the 28th year was clearly defined). However, a host of recent
acts and amendments have thrown in automatic renewals and term extensions
which, with the recent Sonny Bono Copyright Extension Act, could bring the
copyright term of some of these works up to ninety-five years from initial
publication.

I'd suggest checking out the circulars available from the Copyright office
via the web at http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/circs/, especially circs.
15, 21, 22 and sl15.

As for the "crux" of the question, my understanding is that the
institution that published the journal (assuming it owns the copyright to
the title) can give copyright clearance for the "collected work" (the
journal issue) but may not necessarily have the right to grant permission
for individual articles within that issue.

- Ed Barnas
Journals Manager, CUP