Re: Costs of journals publishing

Some time ago I discovered that a well known journal publisher was making
in excess of 40 per cent profit on sales. Knowledgeable people have since
suggested to me that that may be below average. It is not difficult to get
this information: generally it is in the published accounts.

My personal reaction was to buy some shares in the company since it was
clearly benefitting from the oligopoly situation and that was likely to
continue.  But I do not see that the reaction of governments should be
similar!

Anyway, when looking at product costs, we should not forget to query the
target profit!

John Sumsion - Senior Fellow in Department of Information and Library
Studies, Loughborough University,  Loughborough,  Leics. LE11 3TU  [UK]
Tel +44 (0)1509 223060 or 223052   Fax  +44 (0)1509 223053

Home address: The Granary, 29 Main Street, Rotherby, Melton Mowbray, Leics.
LE14 2LP.  Tel: +44 (0)1664 434485;  Fax  +44 (0)1664 434918.

[Home address preferred; E-mail works for both addresses.]