Re: Science Online model and Princeton

>"In the end the user communities will decide. If scholars do not put their
>best articles into expensive journals, the expensive journals will not
>be wanted by the patrons...."

This is of course classical laissez-faire economics and classic
in-the-box thinking.  Relying on the market will get us nowhere,
particularly because as many have pointed out the research journal
market is a very distorted case.  Thinking out of the box is what will
solve the problem.  Fortunately, people are doing that--proposing new
modes of scholarly communication in a variety of ways.   "In the end the
user communities will decide" remains true in that sense, I suppose.
--pg
--
Peter Graham    Syracuse University Library    psgraham@syr.edu
Syracuse, NY 13244-2010 315/443-2573 fax 315/443-2060 9/98nw4.4