Re: Re[2]: Science Online model and Princeton

Mike Spinella wrote:
>It would be impossible to duplicate in print the ready access and research
>usefulness of Science Online. Nevertheless, if you were to try to
>duplicate only the accessibility, you would quickly recognize that Science
>Online's site-wide subscription prices are far less expensive than either
>the print or the workstation model, on a per user basis.

Mike,

Well, I can't resist replying online to this explanation of Science Online
pricing. I would be the first to acknowledge added value of electronic
formats: access at the desktop, enhanced search capabilities, etc. etc. We
pay substantially more for access to electronic versions of index/abstract
services because they offer the identical content (including backfile)
together with the benefits you mention.

It's difficult to see how print revenues are threatened, because even
faculty personal subscribers like to have their own back issues easily
available. We could never replace print copies of Science Online with the
electronic version because, as you indicate, it is not archived.

Beyond that, it is ridiculous to compare site cost to that of per-user
print or every individual workstation on campus-- when has anyone ever
suggested that each fte should have a personal library-purchased copy of
any magazine, journal or index? That's what concurrent use is all about. I
think (and hope) that your revenue stream for electronic Science Online
will be seriously constricted until the time that the cost bears a
resemblance to added value. Until then, we can give sincere thanks to
publishers who are making some effort to add electronic access without
annihilating our budgets.

Carole Richter
Electronic Resourcees Coordinator
University of Notre Dame Libraries
(219)631-8405
richter.8@nd.edu

>Stayed tuned. I want Princeton and all the rest of you to be able to
>obtain Science Online for your communities. I believe our current pricing
>is fair and reasonable, given what we know -- but I'm not attached to it.
>If we can do better, while maintaining the income we need to provide this
>top quality product, we will.

Fair and reasonable from your perspective I can genuinely accept.  But if
libraries were to contemplate adding this kind of cost for one-year online
access to every comparable important journal, can you begin to visualize
the impact? The pop phrase 'let's don't go there' applies pretty well. I'd
hope that you'd look again at the order-of-magnitude suggestion, and try
to lure in a large market with very very low access cost!