Re: Science Online model and Princeton

Since Mike Spinella mentioned Princeton as an adopter of their workstation
licensing, I'd better explain our logic.

No one here thinks this is a good model, for all the reasons that have
been stated on this list. Princeton would much rather have a campus
license if it were obtainable at what we consider a reasonable price. The
institutional price of Science this year is $295, and the campus license
for an institution Princeton's size would be $3500.

Because of the importance of this title, we decided to purchase the $25
add-on to each of our 10 print subscriptions, and the journals is
available on one designated computer in each of our relevant branch
libraries, where it receives significant use.  I do not think of this 8%
additional price as an "economy model":  I think of it as a not very
satisfactory compromise to meet an unfortunate pricing policy. If the
publisher feels compelled to charge non-affordable prices for a campus
license, it may be better that the publisher offer an alternative than no
alternative at all.

I do not know what we would consider the maximum acceptable price for a
campus license. In my personal view, it would be about an order of
magnitude less than the publisher's current price.

Though I am stating the consensus of our science selectors' decisions, the
interpretation is of course only my personal view.

--
David Goodman
Biology Librarian, Princeton University Library