Re: American Society for Microbiology

Yes, David, this is truly bizarre, but they stand by their policy for the
moment.

I spoke with several folks in their office who are 'braced' for the
onslaught of complaints.  They are concerned that they will lose the many
personal memberships on campuses if they allow multiple sites or
networking. Thus, they believe they have priced the electronic version at
a "low" rate so each site can subscribe only as needed.  They also
inferred that an IP address range for a given library in a given building
should not include individual staff/faculty offices.  That's why remote
access also is forbidden by the contract.

For The Ohio State University, this is a real dilemma.  We, too, have
multiple IP ranges and find it cumbersome to determine use and plot out
access costs.  To date, we have not subscribed, due to this peculiar
policy.

-- Trisha Davis

Trisha L. Davis
Head, Continuation Acquisition Division
The Ohio State University Libraries	Phone: (614) 292-6314
1848 Neil Avenue Mall  040N		Fax:   (614) 292-2015
Columbus, OH 43210-1286			Email:  davis.115@osu.edu