Re: copyright issues of scanned articles

Sally Morris of the Association of Learned and Professional Society
Publishers of the UK (ALPSP) writes the following:

From: "ALPSP" <alpsp@morris-assocs.demon.co.uk>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Subject: Re: copyright issues of scanned articles
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 16:05:34 -0000

I was careful to write 'publisher AND other copyright owner'.  In addition
to copyright in the text itself, there are also rights (for a shorter
period) in the appearance of the page - the 'typographical arrangement'-
which always reside with the publisher.  Thus the publisher's permission
is also required.

There is, at present, no copyright exception under any legislation, as far
as I know, for digitisation.

I am forwarding this message to others who can provide first-hand details
both of the STM/EBLIDA agreement, and of the HERON scheme.

Sally Morris