Re: copyright issues of scanned articles

At present, no digitisation can be legally carried out without the
explicit permission of the publisher and any other copyright owner (who
may or may not require a fee) and under the terms specified by them.

However, publishers recognise that this situation is as unworkable for
libraries as it used to be for photocopying.  In the UK, there have been
useful discussions between publishers and librarians, and as a result the
Copyright Licensing Agency is planning to develop a centrally operated
licence (similar to that which we already have in place for photocopying).
The STM group of publishers has also made a joint statement with EBLIDA on
a more liberal approach to the digitisation of older material (such as
journal articles published more than three years ago.)  In the UK, the
universities are also setting up a centralised system called HERON, so
that material digitised (with permission) either centrally, or by one
university, can be reused by others.

So, although the current situation is not very helpful, significant
progress is being made to improve this.  I don't know (and would be
interested to hear) whether the same is true in other countries.

Sally Morris, Secretary-General
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK

Phone:  01903 871686 Fax:  01903 871286 E-mail:
alpsp@morris-assocs.demon.co.uk