American Scientist article

I was scanning the September-October 1998 issue of American Scientist
yesterday, and ran across the following article: "Free Internet Access to
Traditional Journals," by Thomas J. Walker. (The article is also available
on the Web at:

http://www.amsci.org/amsci/articles/98articles/walker.html).

In the author's words, "In this article I shall describe the experiences
of one small scientific society that has ventured into low-budget
electronic publishing (without putting up toll gates). Based on these
experiences, I shall show that societies can pay for delayed free Internet
access to all articles in their journals by selling immediate free access
to those authors who want it."

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning & Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801
Phone: (217) 333-4895