Re: print costs vs. electronic costs

Shirley Lambert writes:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:57:12 -0500
From: shirley_lambert@nbnbooks.com
To: ann.okerson@yale.edu,
    boyce@newb6.u-strasbg.fr
Subject: print costs vs. electronic costs

     Dear Mr. Boyce:
     producing a robust electronic version of the journal first, I would
     like to point out that a certain amount of cost is incurred in the
     editing process. From there a corrected disk can be "poured" into
     the correct format for a printed page. This step is not necessary
     in producing electronic copy because of the tagging. But the
     tagging doesn't produce the printed format (columns and so forth).

     Therefore, I do beg to differ with your assessment of what costs
     "ought" to be.

     Shirley Lambert
     Editorial Director, Scarecrow Press
     4720 Boston Way