RE: Proposed Haworth Press e-journal Policies

I find the Haworth "Guidelines" objectionable in almost every respect.
While by no means unusual, the requirement to subscribe to the print in
order to get electronic access is not one that libraries should encourage.

Rather than a 10% surcharge for print + electronic, we should encourage
publishers to offer discounts for electronic only that reflect their
reduced printing and distribution charges. Particularly bad in the Haworth
license is that the 10% surcharge only entitles the institution to 3 IP
addresses.  Besides not being a very good deal, those of us with networks
with dynamic IP addresses cannot easily comply with the restriction.

Finally, the prohibition on downloading is potentially troublesome.
Since the guidelines are so vague on this point, it is difficult to tell
precisely what Haworth has in mind. However, if they intend to prohibit
downloading of individual articles, that is problematic.  As it stands, I
would not buy this license.

Patrick Callahan
Assistant Dean for Collections and Technical Services
St. John's University
Jamaica, NY