From: "Peter B. Boyce" <pboyce@aas.org>
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Electronic archiving
Date: Thu,  8 Oct 1998 19:01:34 EDT

Pardon me if I chime in here to add some thoughts based upon our
experience in astronomy.

The electronic versions of all dual-version journals are diverging rapidly
from the paper version. In astronomy we have color plates on the Web and
B&W in print -- for cost reasons, since authors pay the color costs.  We
have video clips, we have machine readable data tables which do not even
appear in print any more, and the list is growing.  What with the
hyperlinks to references and citations which provide immediacy to the
information web, of which the journal is just a part, archiving in paper
is not adequate, even now.  The trend to electronic-only features is
accelerating. In another year, saving the paper will not be considered by
anyone to be an adequate archival strategy, even as a backup. Let's give
up talking about this now.

Don't take this wrong, but libraries can physically not maintain an
electronic archive for all their journals. An electronic journal is not a
collection of individual articles any more.  It is a whole complex system
of files, software, and protocols -- which are different for each
publisher.  One year of our Astrophysical Journal comprises about 60
GBytes in over 250,000 files, and a multitude of scripts and programs, all
of which are needed to have the journal function correctly and completely.

[SNIP]

Dr. Peter B. Boyce, Chercheur Associe,
Centre Donnees de astronomique de Strasbourg, France
               --  boyce@cdsxb6.u-strasbg.fr

and Senior Consultant for Electronic Publishing
American Astronomical Society
              --   pboyce@aas.org    --  http:www.aas.org/~pboyce

Dennis Auld
Senior Consultant, PsycINFO