Re[2]: The new Science site license

Rick,

Here at Science, we're not surprised when librarians raise the archiving
question. It's an important one that will effect everyone: publishers,
libraries, and scholars. It definitely needs a resolution sooner rather
than later. Your comment makes it seem as if the archiving problem is
really quite simple to solve, if only those pesky publishers wouldn't be
so finicky about copyright rules. But are we really the problem?

I'm not an archivist, so please forgive if this is a naive response: I
don't see how your proposed solution helps at all. First, as I understand
the problem, archiving online journals is considered difficult partly
because of their dynamism and their integration through hyperlinking to
many other sites and documents online. This is one reason, I assume, that
retaining print subscriptions is not considered adequate.

Second, and in the short run more important, how would you save money by
printing it all out yourself? To the extent that a print copy IS adequate,
I'm pretty sure you'd be far better off economically just keeping print
Science, rather than wasting time and money trying to print out the whole
site. The cheapest paper you could put through your printer must surely
cost more than the pages of a bulk printed magazine, no?

By the way, for Science Online, that would be a daily, not a weekly,
printing chore, since some new online content appears every day. Maybe you
could save some money for certain journals whose subscription costs are
very high. Science in print only costs $295 per year right now, less than
half the ALA's reported average cost for Life Science journals, and less
than a quarter the cost reported for Chemistry/Physics journals. I doubt
you could print it out cheaper than that, even if you only printed the
research and news articles.

Of course, I realize retaining print Science is still not an adequate
solution to archiving the Science Online product. For example, it wouldn't
give you a printed archive of the ScienceNOW daily articles. But that's
the whole archiving problem with online journals referenced above. We're
not being belligerent or cavalier about the archiving problem. It is a
tough problem to solve, publishers don't really have this in their
background - librarians do. If it were as simple as relaxing the copying
rules for libraries, I don't think there would be an archiving problem.

     Mike Spinella
     AAAS, Science magazine