RE: Usage Statistics

List members,

I am not a " bean counter " but I think we are still early enough in the
electronic information resources game that we need some usage stats to
convince the non-believers that our users want this access. I believe that
we can use the usage stats to get more money from our administration to
purshase both traditional and electronic products. I have used the usage
stats from Britannica to convince other university libraries in the
province of Ontario, Canada to join in making a consortium purchase of
Britannica On-line making access cheaper for all of us. We are comparing
usage stats to some limited stats that we have on the use of paper
serials.

At the moment when I do get usage stats I prefer to get them monthly. At
the University of Toronto we would keep access to within the library
administration for now.

Just my random thoughts.

       Warren Holder
Electronic Information Resources Co-ordinator
University of Toronto Library
Robarts Library
130 St. George Street
Toronto, Ontario