Usage Statistics

Members might be interested in the wording which has been included in the
(unfinalised draft) model licence produced by the joint publishing/
universities working party in the UK.  The clause can appear as an
obligation either of the publisher or the licensee, depending on the
method of access/distribution and, therefore, where the information is
captured.  Comments on this wording would be extremely helpful, and the
response to Claire's question about what information is wanted would help
us to fill in the details!

"[5.5 The Publisher shall [provide on a [frequency] basis] [or] [enable
the Licensee to collect] usage information for the Licensee's private
internal use only.  The anonymity of individual users and the
confidentiality of their searches shall be fully protected.  In the case
that the Publisher assigns its rights to another party under Clause 7.1
herein, the Licensee may at its discretion require the assignee either to
keep such usage information confidential or to destroy it.]

Helpful to specify in more detail what information to be collected.  See
matching clause 5.9"

and

"5.9 The Licensee shall [provide on a [frequency] basis] [or] [enable the
Publisher to collect] usage information for the Publisher's private
internal use only.  The anonymity of individual users and the
confidentiality of their searches shall be fully protected.  In the case
that the Licensee assigns its rights to another party under Clause 7.1
herein, the Publisher may at its discretion require the assignee either to
keep such usage information confidential or to destroy it.]

Helpful to specify in more detail what information to be collected.  See
matching clause 5.5."

Sally Morris