Re: Cambridge University Press

The request of the publisher, for ip range, plus individual user names and
passwords, seems to me the opposite of good news. (And they want user
names and password even for their free abstracts and tables of contents!)
One reason for the existence of libraries is so users do not have to deal
directly with publishers for every item they might want to read. I can
understand that publishers may want to know who their readers are, but I
think we should continue to consider it one of our ethical
responsibilities to enable users to access material in a way that
specifically prevents publishers (or anyone) knowing who is accessing
what.

--
David Goodman
Biology Librarian, Princeton University Library