Re: Oxford and Cambridge UP

As I was reading the OUP license, I wasn't having too much trouble with
the terms and it looked like we could figure out a way to make sure that
our proxy service to our distance learners would still comply with the
license when I hit the last section:

  "9. Governing Law and Jurisdiction

      9.1 The terms and conditions of this Site licence are governed by
      English law and the English courts shall have jurisdiction."

I would have thought that publishers would have figured it out by now.
Most U.S. state governments (of which our publicly funded universities
are a part) won't agree to anything but their own state laws.  Or, at
least, have the license be silent on the point... this usually gets
past the lawyers.

  --Michele Newberry

Michele Newberry
Assistant Director for Library Services               352/392-9020
Florida Center for Library Automation (FCLA)      fax 352/392-9185
2002 NW 13th Street, Suite 320                 http://www.fcla.edu
Gainesville, FL 32609                   fclmin@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu