Cambridge Survey Replies

Ann Gabriel of Cambridge University Press writes:

Date: 12 Aug 98 16:11:55 -0400
From: Ann Gabriel <agabriel@cup.org>
Cc: Laraine Karl <lkarl@cup.org>
Subject: Thanks

It looks as if the last of the responses to the survey you so kindly
allowed us to post on the list serv have come in.  If you see fit, please
post the following note of thanks and shared feedback for subscribers.

Best wishes, Ann Gabriel
Electronic Information Marketing Manager

NOTICE:

A special thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to Cambridge
University Press's survey regarding library requirements for electronic
databases. A primary goal of the survey was to determine whether or not
libraries preferred internet or CD-ROM access to electronic information.
We received 52 responses, nearly 100% in favor of internet over CD-ROM
access to information.  The results of an identical printed direct mail
survey sent to a random selection of 500 university libraries are still
coming in.  Feedback from the printed survey appears to be largely in
favor of internet access although not unanimous.  Most valuable of all
were the comments supplied by the subscribers on this list, anonymous
highlights of which are posted below.  Thanks again for your cooperation
and assistance with our project.  It is greatly appreciated.

"CD-ROM's are difficult to make available over a network.  We are
currently having to buy a whole new round of hardware for this purpose:
it is expensive. Technology keeps changing, interfaces become obsolete.
Internet connections are much easier. We prefer the publisher to "serve
up" the data and save us the local effort."

" . . . RUNNING CDS ON A NETWORK IS A HUGE PAIN, AND REQUIRES SKILLS AND
MANHOURS INCREASINGLY HARD TO GET. WHEN THESE COSTS ARE FACTORED IN
CD-ROMS ARE JUST TOO EXPENSIVE.  THE COST IS ONGOING AND OPEN-ENDED,
EXPECIALLY IF THERE ARE FREQUENT UPDATES. INTERNET PRODUCTS REQUIRE
SETTING UP ONLY ONCE."

"INTERNET PRODUCTS ARE MUCH EASIER FOR AN INSTITUTION TO MANAGE, AS FAR AS
ACCESSIBILITY GOES.  (ANY INSTITUTION WORKSTATION WITH A BROWSER CAN
ACCESS THE PRODUCT.)  IT'S EASIER FOR THE LIBRARIAN THAN MAINTAINING ALL
OF THE LAN CONNECTIONS NECESSARY FOR CD-ROM ACCESSIBILITY."

"We are very reluctant to invest in expensive CD-ROM products at this
point because of issues such as the heavy requirement for staff support
and the question of the very limited lifespan we can currently expect for
Cd-ROM based information systems. Even if the disks last longer than a few
years, the systems that make them accessible may no longer be effectively
available to us. Internet-based systems seem more likely to simply roll
over into new forms that do not require us to buy the data again at some
future date."

"ABSOLUTELY PREFER WEB VERSION .. WANT TO PRESUME CAMPUS-WIDE ACCESS BY IP
RANGE."

"For internet access - if simultaneous users are restricted, then we like
to have a cd-rom in the library as well as internet access.  If we pay by
simultaneous user rather than site, then we try to get a cd-rom version at
the price of one additional user.  Our University (like many) have a real
push for distance or distributed learning - since we are a very rapidly
growing institution, we cannot build enough classrooms to house all the
potential students - for our institution distance/distributed learning
means providing classes via the internet to students who would normally
come to campus if there were classrooms and parking spaces.  The library
needs to support the research and support for these students, so we are
trying to get as many resources as possible accessible via the internet."

"WE ARE BUYING AS FEW CDS AS POSSIBLE. INTERNET IS MUCH PREFERABLE.  MUCH
LESS DEPENDENT ON THE ODDITIES OF LOCAL NETWORKS.  WE TRY TO DELIVER
EVERYTHING AT THE DESKTOP AND WITH CDS THAT IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE."

"We are a multi-site organization; internet access erases all geographical
and firewall barriers which are encountered with cd-rom products."

"No one seems to being doing anything about the archiving problem.
Libraries cannot maintain electronic and print subscriptions indefinitely.
I'd not publish cd-rom versions of your products.  The Internet
subscriptions can be used by more students at the same time and accomodate
distance learners.  Producing on cd-rom is an out-of-date technology."

"Unless the database is very narrow and of interest to only a handful of
people, we want Internet access."

"We have decided to purchase only those CD-ROM products that provide
information that is not available through Internet-accessible databases.
Since we do not have a CD network, Internet databases provide wider access
for our patrons."

Sincerely,