RE: A thought about H.R. 2281

This particular argument, that scholars don't need to get paid for
articles they write since they get tenure, is really amazing.

We could just as easily argue that publishers don't need to get paid for
articles delivered by document delivery services, since they already got
paid the first time they published the article.

Telling a producer of something that "someone else, sometime, if you have
faith in the system"  will pay you for what you are giving me, isn't
economics, it's magic!

So, now we have publishers talking about "magic" as justification for not
paying authors, nor permitting them any say in how the work they create is
distributed past the first publication.

I think we've hit a tender point, when rational producers talk with
romanticism about where there product comes from.  Have you asked authors
if they think they are compensated for their intellectual product through
tenure and promotion?

P.S. Pat Schroeder, at NASIG last week made the same argument.

Self-serving is the nicest thing I can say about a position that says
scholars should be in there making sure fair use disappears in the
electronic environment, so publishers can exercise more control over the
sweat of their brow because someday somewhere, they might get recompensed
by somebody else.  hocus pocus.

Chuck Hamaker