Threaded Index

COLOR in e-journals, WAS Re: Ads in online journals

>From the perspective of biologists, one of the nicest things about
electronic journals is the potential for the easier and cheaper use of
color--which is needed either to clarify the complex interrelationships,
or to show the experimental results. Many of the print journals in this
field use some color, but to be economically possible it require either
very large print runs (which only a few journals have) or special page
charges to the author, generally of several hundred dollars per
illustration.  It is my impression that the preparation of color drawings
or micrographs for the Web, though not trivial, is a simpler matter than
doing so for high-quality print. (Certainly many scientists have learned
how to put high quality color examples of their work on their web sites.)

>From the perspective of a librarian, a problem is that of printing such
illustrations in color using affordable equipment. (And the problem is
accentuated by the difficulty most web browsers have in printing only
specified pages.) I have no plan to deal with this other than to wait for
more affordable printers. Perhaps, though, it will lead to the actual use
of the ability to store the received articles on the computer, not on
paper.

--
David Goodman
Biology Librarian, Princeton University Library

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback