Threaded Index

Blood Online

Bernard Naylor is quite right. This licence term is too restrictive and my
inclination would be to cross it out. But I thought it worth checking
internationally, because I thought that in the US you had solved this
problem of registered users who happen not to be in a normal location?

Fred Friend

>Delivery-Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 09:54:41 +0000
>Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 09:49:07 +0000 (GMT)
>Subject: Blood Online
>From: "B.Naylor" <B.Naylor@soton.ac.uk>
>To: lis-sconul@mailbase.ac.uk, curl-dirs@mailbase.ac.uk
>
> Has anybody pursued the matter of online access to BLOOD, the journal
> published by the American Society of Hematology?
>
> Clause 14 of the Terms and Conditions of Use reads:
>
> For the purposes of this Agreement, Authorized Users of Institutional
> Subscriptions shall be those individuals affiliated with institutions
> who are accessing BLOOD Online via workstations located within the
> institutions' library or research facilities (i.e. the buildings to
> which issues of the Journal are sent or where issues of the Journal are
> housed).  No access to BLOOD Online will be permitted to individuals
> affiliated with the institution who are located at workstations situated
> elsewhere on the institutions' campuses (e.g. lodgings, classrooms,
> offices) or at off-campus sites.
>
> Apparently, there is no requirement to sign an undertaking and send it
> back, but users of BLOOD Online are assumed to have accepted this
> condition (among others).  My view is that for a University this
> condition is hopelessly restrictive and I am minded to strike it out and
> return the amended Terms and Conditions saying what I have done and why,
> and asking them to accept that our users will use the service without
> that condition applying.  Before I do so, I wondered whether anyone else
> has looked at these terms and conditions and taken a view about this
> particular one.  Maybe we should all act together (that is, those of us
> who haven't already taken action)?
>
> Bernard
>
>    *************************************************************
>
>    Bernard Naylor
>    University Librarian      Address:  Hartley Library
>                                        University of Southampton
>    E-mail: bn@soton.ac.uk              Highfield
>    Tel:    01703 592677                Southampton
>    Fax:    01703 595451                SO17 1BJ
>
>    *************************************************************

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Frederick J.Friend,
Director Scholarly Communication,
c/o Graduate School,
North Cloisters,
University College London,
Gower Street,
London WC1E 6BT,
England.
Telephone +44 171 380 7090
Mobile phone   0385 921 774
Fax           +44 171 380 7043
E-mail       ucylfjf@ucl.ac.uk   or    f.friend@ucl.ac.uk
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback