Threaded Index

Re: When is a Journal a Journal (Was Biomed Aggregators)

Ann Okerson asks:

> 1.  Are the ejournals included in aggregators' databases *real?*
> 2.  How and how not?  For whom?

I believe they are real in as far as the scope and content is clearly
understood by the user.  We subscribe to ADONIS, a CD-ROM based
full-text document delivery system.  ADONIS is offered on an annual
subscription basis for the data.  It can be viewed on a single workstation
at no additional cost.  If a print copy of an article is requested
there is a publisher's charge which varies depending on the
publisher!  Most of the content of the 800+ journals covered in
ADONIS are replicated in full.  Advertisements, covers, and certain
letters to the editor may not be.  Images, photos, charts, etc. are
all included.  Indeed, the full text included in ADONIS is  scanned,
bit-mapped images of the print journal.

> 3.  Therefore, do they or do they not deserve to be enumerated in
>     in an ejournal list on our web sites?

We do not list them on our web site since they are not specifially
web based journals.  In other words, clients cannot access ADONIS
from our web page.  This is technologically possible, it is just not
very easy to do in its present form.  However, we would link them
from our home page immediately if the technical details were
resolved.  Part of those "details" include the charges levied by
publishers for printing journals and how we would collect from the
user.

> 4.  Should they be catalogued as an ejournal in our online catalog? We
>     do catalog individual titles that we license or can access as
>     *individual*  titles.

While, in general, we do not catalog journals, the ADONIS titles are
listed as item records in our online catalog and also listed in our
suite of databases, in our case, SilverPlatter's ERL system databases
(e.g. WinSpirs, WebSpirs, etc.).  When someone does a search on
MEDLINE, for example, the results of the search show whether the
title is located in the library and/or is an ADONIS title.

> 5.  Do the aggregators supply bib records for these ejournals?  If not,
>     how did you get them into your lists or catalogs?

ADONIS does not supply bib records for the journals.  We've entered
them manually into our system, a very labor intensive effort, but one
that has paid off in many ways, not least of all as a tremendous
service to our faculty, staff, and students.  True, there is a cost
to printing journals, but in a research and patient care environment,
that cost is often not a major consideration for the member of the
health care team who needs the article immediately.  At this writing,
we pass the full cost of an ADONIS article on to the requestor.
Also, at this writing, the annual cost of ADONIS has been supported
by funds outside of the library's budget for the past four years.

Best,
**********
Jim Bothmer, Director
Health Sciences Library/