Threaded Index

Re: When is a Journal a Journal (Was Biomed Aggregators)

Ann

This is an important distinction you are making and one worth exploring.
As technology shifts from ASCII, to ASCII with imbedded images, to PDF for
a page image, the readers' perspectives and expectations are evolving as
well.

Many "full-text" articles included by aggregators may not have images,
which means that they would not replace the page image which the user of
the print would see.  Aggregators may include lead articles, but
frequently omit more emphemeral material or that which may not be indexed,
such as letters to the editors, reviews, errata, ads, etc.

To follow the print model, a library would provide Marc records only for
those titles 1) which are received in a full image version online, 2)
which are browseable via a table of contents and 3) which include all
parts cover-to-cover.  This replicates the print version and therefore a
marc record indicates that the title (book or journal - not a partial
version) is provided (either owned or licensed) by the library.

Although the MARC record can provide information on an item below the
title level, with journals, isn't the MARC records typically used to
identify the journal at the title level while other publishers (secondary
and aggregators)  index at the article level?

What message is being sent to the user and what are the benefits to
indicating that a title is held when only some of the articles are
included?  Cataloging is changing with the ideas about metadata describing
projects.  How does this affect the libraries' approach to providing
access to the contents of publications?  I'd be interested in th
cataloger's perspective.  Judy

Judy

--
Market Development Services
Judy Luther, MLS, MBA                              610-645-7546  tel

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback