Threaded Index

Re: Best Journal Aggregator for Biomedicine

RE fulltext access to Science, I'll note that Dow-Jones News Retrieval
lists coverage as 1983- .  I believe Lexis/Nexis covers this title fairly
far back also.  Dow-Jones is supposed to be offering web-based access
to its service this summer.  I have not done extensive testing, but
certainly I have pulled up fulltext articles from Science on that service.

Although they may not be the best journal aggregators for biomedicine,
both these services have coverage in this as so many areas.   I recently
scanned both services for biology titles and can fax a copy of the summary
sheet to interested parties.

Mary Kay
Library Acquisitions
Humboldt State University
Arcata, CA 95521
707-826-3414

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, David Goodman wrote:

> The situation is even worse than that--
>
> "The only part of Nature currently available as full text on-line is the
> science-policy news, in an archive that dates back to June 1995."
>
> Science is willing to license only on a workstation by workstation basis
>
> Cell Press will give a campus license for Cell & its other 3 journals, but
> charges a rate by quotation that is several times the paper rate
> (approximately equal to the total gross revenue they get from all paper
> subscriptions on campus).
>
> Another key publisher that causes problems is Current Biology, which
> charges a 25% surcharge over paper per individual workstation for each of
> its group of review journals. They say they will work through OCLC--I do
> not know how OCLC's software would handle the workstation limitation, if
> any library were so wealthy and foolish to subscribe at that rate.
>
> Even worse is Chronicle of Higher Education, which has the online version
> available only to individual subscribers, and not to libraries at all.
>
> The reason for this, according to the publishers, is that these journals
> receive a very high percentage of their revenue from advertising, with the
> rate they can charge advertisers dependent on the number of personal
> subscriptions, and they are consequently worried about the loss of
> individual subscriptions if they sell campus licenses. I must admit that I
> do not understand this, as actual web readership, which is certainly
> measureable, would seem at least equally usable. Most medical journals,
> which are also dependent upon advertising, have a more reasonable
> policy--some are even free online.
>
> David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
> dgoodman@phooenix.princeton.edu            609-258-3235
>
> On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Nancy Fadis wrote:
>
> > Nancy Fadis@SCIOS
> > 03/05/98 10:35 AM
> >
> > Neither Blackwell's nor OCLC handle three of the biggies for biomedicine --
> > Science, Nature and Cell.  Does anyone know of an aggregator who does or
> > must one license their electronic versions directly from the publisher?
> >
> > Nancy Fadis
> > Manager, Library and Information Services
> > Scios Inc.
> > Mountain View, CA
> >
> > http://www.sciosinc.com

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense