Threaded Index

RE: Secure networks

Hi!

Both of your questions essentially are the same --- what does the
publisher mean by 'absolute control?' Perhaps the real question is, what
is their intent? Are they demanding that the licensee provide absolute
_access_control_ to ensure that the materials may only be _accessed_ by
the license group, or are they demanding that the licensee provide a
network that ensures that the material won't leave the network --- that
copies can't be distributed outside the network. This is very closely
related to the first, but not equivalent.

If it is absolute _access_control_ that they really demand, then it
would seem that the licensee is obligated to provide a level of access
security that ensures that only users in the license group can get at
it. This may just be the institutional community. The library server
would need to authenticate institutional users and/or client nodes that
are within the institution's domain(s). This is fairly common for
corporate intranets. How difficult it is depends on the intranet
configuration and the servers used. And the management effort is more
difficult if the authorized users form a subset of the total community
--- then the access control list would need to be tailored to that
license group.

Distribution control is probably easier to ensure, since most
institutional servers have layers that prevent even intra-institutional
access to the sources (as opposed to internal Web access). These help
the material from propogating internally. A few institutions and many
corporations then wrap a firewall around these layers.

The most difficult problem is preventing authorized users from
distributing the material. To ensure 'absolute control' you shouldn't
let even authorized users get at the source directories (i.e. 'under the
hood'). Current browsers allow users to 'snarf' material; document
structures often make this tedious. Their efforts would clearly be
expedited if they could grab whole directories!

I hope this helps!

John

| John Erickson, Ph.D.   VP-Rights Technologies
| Yankee Rights Management
| 999 Maple Street              802-649-1847(V)
| Contoocook, NH 03229          802-649-2193(F)
| http://www.ybp.com/yrm      jerickson@ybp.com

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer